Friday, May 16, 2014

You Belong To Me-1941


Outside of the uncharacteristically giddy look on Henry Fonda's face here, this is a lovely ad with the red shade playing well with the greys of the black and white photo to nice effect. Clearly what's being sold here is the reunion of Fonda and Stanwyck. Even the two guys at right (?) seem interested in said reunion.

Wesley Ruggles was a name to reckon with at the time as director although his cache has faded with time. Former licensed dentist Edgar Buchanan was an impressive character actor in comedies or dramas so he may have well been a selling point as well. 

You can tell this is meant to be a romantic comedy but that's about all you can tell. According to IMDB, it's actually pretty dull and even bad in spots, with original story by the controversial Dalton Trumbo. The thing is, you can't tell any of that from this ad either. 

Would I see it? I might have been disappointed but, at the time, I'd have to say yes. 

No comments: