Maybe it;s just me but I think this one is terrible. Many (most?) people of the day would have been familiar with THE ODYSSEY and other versions of the story of ULYSSES so the fact that it was an adaptation of a classic was the main selling point. The note that it was in Technicolor was a plus as these epics were born for color!
Silvana Mangano looks pretty good there, statuesque...literally. She was an Italian actress but not the fiery type. Her career was solely masterminded by her husband, Producer Dino De Laurentiis, later known as one of the world's most successful international producers. He produced this one with Carlo Ponti, another man whose wife--Sophia Loren--was in pictures!
Where it falls down for me, though, is with Kirk Douglas. Not only is he seemingly miscast but he looks like he's doing just that...falling down!
It's a good movie. I've seen it. But if I had seen this ad first, I'd have passed.

No comments:
Post a Comment