As I've said before, it's all about what you want to sell. In this case it's Gable romancing Crawford, period. Clark was the King of Hollywood that year and Crawford, at her own peak of success, had been one of his most popular leading ladies so here she was again. Simple as that.
If you wanted to look closer, you'd see that Woody Van Dyke was directing, he of the great THIN MAN movies. If you followed the gossip columns of the day, you'd likely recognize that co-star Franchot Tone had then just recently become Joan's new husband in real life.
The clever title image with the romantic heart running gave little info as to the picture's plot except to hint strongly of a similarity to Gable's recent Oscar winner for Columbia, IT HAPPENED ONE NIGHT. Subtle here...but not in the movie itself. It really was pretty close to the same plot.
Would this ad have made me see it then? If I were a movie fan at all in the thirties, this ad would have told me everything I need to know about LOVE ON THE RUN. So, yes. I'm there.

No comments:
Post a Comment