Saturday, June 21, 2014

Kiss The Boys Goodbye-1941


I swear we're choosing these at random but here's another Don Ameche one!It's nicely laid out and the red lipstick on the black and white images works well but it's still a tad busy toward the bottom. Stage star Mary Martin never quite made it in films although she achieved some middle-aged fame on television beginning in the 1950s as, of all things, Peter Pan! She--and her lips--are clearly the selling point here, though. While the movie is based on a play by no less than Clare Booth Luce (co-founder of LIFE, future representative and ambassador), that's buried in tiny print at the bottom. Ameche gets top billing but smaller imagery. 

Jack Benny's Rochester, only a few years on the radio by this point, was popular enough to solo, and with special billing yet! Although not under his own name, Eddie Anderson. Sigh.

Oscar Levant was another odd talent who, although often playing a  variation on his true neurotic self on film, never quite made it and had to wait for Jack Paar where he became a perennial TV favorite as a guest. A good if lesser-known supporting cast backs them all up and some forgotten song title are highlighted.  

Would I go. I don't think so. I like the ad, I like Ameche and Rochester. Nothing else says yes...including the lips of Ms. Martin, mother of Larry Hagman. 

No comments: